Covered Bridges History
At one time Indiana County was home to at least 48 documented covered bridges. Locations of many of our lost covered bridges are available on our Historic Covered Bridges map. Information about lost covered bridges throughout the USA can be found at www.LostBridges.org.
The first bridge in Indiana County was constructed in 1804 at the Campbell's Mill in present day Burrell Township. In March of 1804 the Westmoreland County Court authorized $800 for construction of a bridge at the mill of Gen. Charles Campbell. The cost was to be charged to Indiana County. The Campbell's Mill Bridge was approximately 180 feet long.
The first covered toll bridge in Indiana County was located in Blairsville. Construction of the toll bridge was authorized by the PA General Assembly in 1821. By November 1822 the toll bridge was open and remained in use until January, 1874. Read more about the Blairsville toll bridge.
For more extensive information on Indiana County's covered bridges we recommend 'Country Crossing... Indiana County's Covered Bridges' published by the Indiana County Genealogical & Historical Society. The book, which includes information on all documented Indiana County covered bridges, is available for sale at the Society's Museum, located at Wayne Avenue & South 6th Street in Indiana, PA 15701.
Management & Maintenance
Responsibility for management of the covered bridges was transferred to Indiana County Parks & Trails in May 2007. Indiana County is committed to ensuring that the covered bridges are maintained for future generations to enjoy and appreciate.
See our covered bridges map for more information on the location of each bridge or for a description of each bridge and a map to the bridges, please view and print our "Covered Bridges of Indiana County" brochure.