Buena Vista Furnace Historic Site
10485 Route 259 Hwy., Blairsville, PA 15717
40o 28' 24.253" N 79o 5' 42.514" W
Directions | Brochure
Built in 1847 by Henry McClelland, Elias McClelland, and Stephen A. Johnston, Buena Vista was named for the Mexican War battle fought in February 1847.
The thirty-foot high furnace used local iron ore, limestone and charcoal to produce approximately 400 tons of pig iron per year. Approximately 61 men and boys, and 30 horses and mules labored at Buena Vista. The ‘pig iron’ was hauled by wagon to the Pennsylvania Canal at Ninevah near Johnstown.
The furnace property was sold at Sheriff’s Sale in 1850 to Dr. Alexander Johnston, production continued until 1856. In 1854 the furnace produced 560 tons of iron out of shell and bog ore.
In 1900, Stephen Johnston sold a 67-acre parcel that included the Buena Vista Furnace to
Judge A.V. Barker for $20,000. Barker sold it and other properties to the Lackawanna Coal and
Coke Company in 1902. In 1917, the property passed to the Vinton Colliery Company.
In 1957, the Delano Coal Company sold the furnace and property to the Historical and Genealogical Society of Indiana County. Since then repairs were curtailed due to a lack of access and additional damage caused by the Flood of 1977. The opening the Ghost Town Trail extension in 2006 renewed efforts to save the site and make it accessible to the public. The Historical and Genealogical Society
of Indiana County leases the site to Indiana County Parks & Trails.
For an overview of the operation of an iron furnace and information about Indiana County's iron furnaces see: Iron Furnaces of Indiana County (PDF)
An extensive history and background information (very large file, 1.9MB) about the Buena Vista Furnace written by Mr. Clarence Stephenson, Indiana County Historian, is available as a PDF file.
Additional information about Buena Vista Furnace and other iron furnaces in Pennsylvania can be found at the Industrial Archeology and PA Iron Furnace Sourcebook websites. Please also visit a compilation of web-based information about iron furnaces called: Western Pennsylvania Old Stone Iron Furnaces.
There are currently no facilities at the site, but visitors are permitted to view the furnace remains.
Over the next few years efforts will be made to secure funding to provide improvements at the site.
In the interest of visitor safety and future preservation of the
furnace please do not to climb on the furnace structure. The western facade of the furnace has collapsed and is not
The site is located along Blacklick Creek in Brush Valley Township directly adjacent to the Ghost Town Trail extension, approximately ½ mile downstream of the PA Route 56 bridge. From the Ghost Town Trail Heshbon Access Area (on PA Route 259) travel approximately 3 miles east on the trail to the furnace property.
A directional map with written directions is available.
Learn more about the county's iron furnaces in our brochure entitled: Iron Furnaces of Indiana County (PDF)
Back to top